Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The BIG move!


On Monday, September 29th I closed on my house. It was not a scary as I had made it out to be, actually it was harmless and easy. Everyone tells you there are stacks upon stacks of papers to sign, I had only about 40 or so. Lance came with me to closing, he has been such an amazing help and blessing in all of this. He has had so much patience in helping me understand all of the financial terms jargon that I have never before heard. I cleaned out my entire storage unit last night and got my kitchen table from Reg. Thanks to Kyle, Daren, Kevin, Mandy, Shannon, MY MOM, Emily, J.P. and Jessica, I was able to move it all into my house. All I have left is my couch and chair, and all of the stuff at my parents house.

In the process of moving in and budgeting, I have learned to restrain myself from buying on impulse like I used to. The lack of having enough money was never an issue, but now I am finding myself shopping cheap and comparing prices at the grocery store in hope of saving even the smallest amount. Today I went to buy toilet paper, trash bags and dish soap. I think that I stood in the isle trying to find the cheapest brand I could. If anyone has any really good tips for budgeting as a homeowner, pass them along!

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

Hey JQ! Congratulations on your new home. I check your blog often to see what you are up too. I'm lurking I guess since I never post. I wanted to say that Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University is awesome for budgeting and www.moneysavingmom.typepad.com is awesome for finding grocery deals. I hope this helps. Miss hearing all the funny things you have to say...Rhonda

Kallie said...

YAY! Congrats JQ! That's totally exciting!

Camille said...

I am so excited for you! I'm sure your spending will adjust just fine. I remember moving from our last house to the one we are at now. In our last house we had unlimited water for $20/month because the neighborhood was on a private well. In our new house we had city water which is charged per use. I remember being so stressed when I was washing dished that we were going to get this HUGE water bill and wouldn't be able to pay it. After a few months I was completely relaxed and familiar with what I could spend.

My tip, just remember the cheapest item does not always save you the most money. Better quality products usually last longer because you're using less.

laneyfamily said...

welcome to the real world. I am so excited for you to have your own home- how fun. If you ever want to go grocery shopping let me know, we always need to go!! I heard Keaton already pooped on your floor huh?

nicole said...

rhonda is totally right...dave ramsey's financial peace university rocks, it ahs helped nick and i so much and we are only a quarter of the way through. but a written budget is what is key.
congrats on your house. can't wait to see pictures.

The Ross Family Seven said...

YAYYYYY!!!!! I can't wait to come over and see it and help you decorate! So happy for you, so PROUD of you!!!

stay classy
mel